Let's Get Inky!

Do I Have Your Attention?!?!?
Well good then the picture worked!

I wanted to talk a little about something I find quite enjoyable to do.  Getting messing with Alcohol Ink (AI).  There is a huge trend in AI artwork lately and recently was pointed to a Facebook group that is all about AI.  Very addicting!  Most of the artwork is created on Yupo paper or glossy tiles but I find I like to work on glossy card stock.  You can also use the back of glossy photo paper.

For this project I wanted to create a deep sea background.  Here are the supplies I used:

Glossy Cardstock
Various Refills (YG25, B26, BV20, BV29)
Ranger Mini Mister filled with 91% alcohol 
Various Blender Solution with the Refill Booster
Copic Airbrush System
Curad Alcohol Pads
My imagination

Step 1 - drop random drops of different colors of the various refill onto glossy cardstock and watch them overlap and mix.  The alcohol will evaporate out on its own.

Step 2 - Once the drops have settled down I assist in color merging by adding blending solution randomly with the Copic Booster needle.

Step 3 - after giving it a moment to do its magic I will use the Copic Airbrush system to push some of the thicker and wet areas around.  This will quickly evaporate the alcohol in the ink.   Notice I am just using the air from the machine and not using any markers. 

Step 4 - To give it a more marbled look I mist it lightly with alcohol in a mini mister.

Here is the spritz results as it starts to marbleize.


Cool info - If you have some thicker areas or wish to have a bit more of a controlled blend you can use these handy alcohol wipes with a blotting motion.


Step 5 - Next I repeat the 2 - 4 until i get the look I like.  You can also add more colors or more blending solution depending on if you want it richer or more translucent.  

If you let the ink slightly dry prior to "blowing" with the Copic airbrush system you will get very cool "fingers" that come off the ink puddles.


Here is the finale of this fun project.  How gorgeous is this?  You can also add some texture using a "water" brush filled with alcohol.  How about adding accents with a white gel pen accenting certain areas.  I love this technique when i want paper to compliment a image I am coloring.

Here is a fun card I created using one of Lisa's seriously quirky images.  This is Bloobel Stamps image "Angry Shark" is scary funny.  I thought this Alcohol Ink airbrushed background was perfect for a deep dark underwater scene.  By the way....I prefer dark chocolate.


Do you own an airbrush system?  So many of my student tell me they have one but have never taken it out of the box.  Just plain silly I say!!   Now is your chance!

If you are looking into getting one I would recommend this system.   I leave my air compressor  ready to go at all time and because its out and available I am more likely to use it for everything from background to coloring ribbon and buttons, making fluffy paper towel clouds for my cards, dusting a bit of color in an art journal and more.  

So you don't get left with nightmares from a shark attack I thought I would leave you with some cute fairies I did using the same concept.  
 See how versatile this technique is?  I hope you get to find time to pull out the air compressor and create! 

- Jenn Dove



Comments

Anonymous said…
What a gorgeous card!!! I love using the alcohol inks; but, it has been awhile since I used them!! Think you have re-inspired me!! Thanks much for sharing and the great tutorial!!
Bunny said…
This is awesome looking. I love the shark and the background. The sentiment cracks me up, too. [Bunny]
Viki Banaszak said…
These are great backgrounds! I love the shark!

Popular Posts